Saturday, February 27, 2010

Why I will never buy a computer from anywhere but Costco again

So we got a family laptop from Costco in April '08. It worked without problems for as long time. Actually, about 18 months. The factory warranty expired at 12 months, but Costco doubles the factory warranty. In the last four months we have sent our computer back twice. The first time they replaced the hard drive and the cable/ribbon for the monitor. The second time they replaced the motherboard. It only cost us the time on the phone with Costco and HP, and the time to backup and reload all the data. We figure we're good for another 15-24 months at this point.

That is my plug for buying a computer from Costco. By the way, in 2004 or 2005, of Dell's $4 billion net profit, 25% of that was from the sale (and non-use) of extended warranties. Costco costs less and you can still use your membership the rest of the year.

2 comments:

Maryanne said...

Costco is pretty awesome with returns. I haven't had experience with returning electronics there but we did own a garbage can from there from a lid (Simple Human brand with a pedal and lid) that the lid broke and though it was probably largely due to rough treatment by the kids, I thought it should have lasted longer. I took it back to Costco thinking maybe they'd maybe pro-rate it or something, but they just gave us back the amt we paid for it. A year later! Good to know about your laptop. Maybe you should get a little kickback for your advertising. :)

Andrew said...

I forgot to mention the AC adapter died and they sent us a new one (I called at 3 pm and we got it the next morning).