Sunday, September 6, 2009

Thoughts on blogs and being a student

I keep thinking about how I need to somehow document our lives...and I tell myself I need to update this. Then things happen and I don't, or by the time I am able to sit down to write, I've forgotten all the funny things that happened.

As I wrote the other day, we're now in Chandler. We're settling in. Another week or so of unpacking and we'll be there. We moved the stuff from Tucson first. That was easy enough, because it was things that we had been using, so getting it put away wasn't too hard. Also, we were coming from an apartment to this home, so there was a lot more space. We felt we'd made progress until I went to Las Vegas the next weekend and brought down all our stuff from there. That was a whole lot of furniture, decorator-type items, kitchen things, and books. We're still going through it. Looks like we'll be having a garage sale soon. Some people are going to get some nice stuff. For a house this large, the kitchen is, as far as cabinets go, quite small. It doesn't come close to the massive quantity of cabinets the house in LV had.

Yesterday Mindy worked in the kitchen most of the day, and I hung ceiling fans. As I was telling Mindy, after having hung and uninstalled 11 fans in the past seven years, I've gotten quite good at hanging them. It is amazing what a difference some air movement makes.

It rained on Thursday night, and again on Saturday morning. I took the boys to the greenbelt that runs through the development. They played for a while on the large playset, but then I pointed out to Cole a small lake that had been formed by the runoff. He played in that for about 1/2 hour. It was up to his knees in places and he kept falling down. He had a great time and was soaked. We stripped him naked at the front door and hauled him directly to the bathtub.

Cole is talking a lot more. He certainly knows what he wants and will either tell us what it is, or go get it himself. I moved the family room sofa in order to hang the fan. He saw something on the bar in the kitchen that he wanted and pushed the sofa the rest of the way to the counter. I explained to Mindy that it had been on the tile and he wouldn't be able to do that when it was on the carpet. About ten minutes later I was proved wrong when I came downstairs and he was finishing pushing one end of the 7' sofa over to the counter.

This reminds me of some other things he has pushed. I peeked in the window of nursery two weeks ago and the leader was trying to get Cole to participate in singing time. He wasn't interested and wanted a toy on top of one of those rolling cabinets they have in nursery. Well, the leader moved the stuff from on top, so Cole decided to go out the back door of the room. The leader pushed the cabinet in front of the door, and Cole proceeded to push it back out of the way.

Last Sunday Cole was brought in to RS crying. He'd gotten excited during singing time and started moshing. He took out 2 or 3 other kids before injuring himself. Speaking of nursery, today is Parker's inaugural week of nursery. We're thrilled. There is a junior nursery in this ward, so we won't have to worry about Cole thumping on him.

So, thoughts on being a student. Oh the free time, if it weren't for having a job and other responsibilities. As it is, I am so glad I wasn't trying to juggle all this as an undergrad. It is utter madness trying to keep up with everything. We've been trying to establish a routine without much success. We've tried having our family meal at lunch, and that has worked well except for the part where I forget to eat dinner.

On Friday I rode the motorcycle to Tucson so I could see the site and check out some issues. This is difficult with Parker pulling on my wedding band. It was just under 100 miles each way. I was glad to get home and cool off. The ride itself wasn't bad though, and the IRS mileage allowance was far more than my actual costs per mile, so that it good.

Well, the boys are running around like maniacs, so it is time to go.

5 comments:

Maryanne said...

Go Cole! I need some rocks moved in my yard, can you send him on out to help?
Craigslist has been great for us-- I hope it serves you well.

Andrew said...

One twin mattress set and a chair mat down... Cole will happily move rocks for you.

Rachel said...

It almost sounded like you took Parker on your motorcyle but it was hard to ride with him pulling on your wedding band hahaha. So are you still working full time at Ledcor?

Mark Butler said...

I'm with Rachel. I thought for a minute that Parker was complicating the motorcycle ride. If you want him to leave the ring alone, wear gloves!

Andrew said...

After reading the post again, I can understand how you were confused. Parker was not on the motorcycle with me and I do wear gloves. I'm part time with Ledcor and if it wouldn't make them so happy, I'd quit, but I still may. HEhaw! Or I may just drag it out for a long time to make them angry.