Saturday, September 26, 2009

Bruises, Ladders and Tools

No, I did not end up with the first by working with the third on the second.

These are some of Cole's favorite things (as far as we can tell). I don't know that bruises are really one of his favorite things, but they should be, as he is constantly replacing the healed ones. Right now he is sporting a big bruise on his left cheek. This is the same side of his face that he whacked on a box and the floor ten minutes before church several weeks ago. The bruise and scab around his eye socket were almost gone when he attempted to move the coffee table with his face after bouncing off the sofa earlier in the week. That bruise was tough-looking, but then on Thursday morning he was pulling away from me, wiggled loose and hit the same bruise on the panel of the door. He had a big knot in his cheek, and was quite angry for a while, but he is okay now except, of course, for the the big circular bruise.

Ladders make the list for several reasons. He has helped me hang ceiling fans, hang pictures, wash out the trash can (it is one of those 400-gallon units that the truck picks up), and most frequently access his new sleeping quarters. Last week I offered to let him sleep on the top bunk if he behaved himself for the day. He did and the top bunk is now where he sleeps. It has definite benefits.
  1. The bottom bunk can be made once a week, and the top bunk never needs to be made, and since it is up high and I am short, I can't tell that it isn't made, and the room looks cleaner.
  2. It has also become his place of refuge. He will sometimes crawl up on his bed when he wants to get away from us.
  3. It makes him happy and helps make him happy to go to bed (sometimes).

His latest phase is one where he needs mom to sing a song to him. Tonight Mindy is at Relief Society, so I was responsible for getting the boys to bed. Cole was so upset that Mindy wasn't home that he crawled into Mindy's side of the bed and went to sleep. (The downside of the top bunk is that wrestling a 3-1/2' tall 45 pound child up the ladder with the ceiling fan not too far above is a bit of an iffy adventure)

Some of you know that Cole's speech was a bit delayed. He is making huge improvements. For example I was trying to hang a picture last week and needed help, so I asked Cole to go find Mindy and tell her I needed help. He did it. He also talks about his food, his shoes, wanting to play with Parker, needing us to help him, and most other things as well. Tonight he even asked me to do something and said included "please" in his request without additional prompting.

Parker is also talking a lot. Last Tuesday he told me all about seeing the elephant at the zoo with Mindy and LeAnn. Cole also told me about this and told me about the fire truck spraying water on the elephant. Parker is quite good at "no". He is also stubborn, but he is the sweetest little kid. Many times when I pick him up, I'll pat his back a bit, and next thing I know, he's patting my back or rubbing his hand on my shoulder. He also does eskimo kisses which are really cute.

One other thing about Cole. He is large, and gets excited at the park. This frequently results in other children on their bottoms, who were, seconds earlier, on their feet. Cole has learned to say sorry, and taking his training from home with Parker, proceeds to give the kid a hug, and often a kiss. This morning he knocked over a little girl, probably about 4, and then leaned over tried to give her a hug and then really tried to give her a kiss. I don't know which was scarier for her, the getting knocked over, or Cole trying to kiss her. She looked terrified. I was able to get Cole to stop. At least he means well.

I need to go figure out what to speak about tomorrow.

2 comments:

Mark Butler said...

When Cole becomes a linebacker, he'll put that same fearful look in the eyes of the opposing quarterbacks.

Andrew said...

Hopefully not because he's trying to kiss them.