Sunday, August 10, 2008

July 4, 2008 - Andrew's version

As you'll see when Mindy writes about her 4th, her day had just about nothing in common with mine.

On Thursday night I went down to the mountain property that my uncle Brian has. I spent the night in a tent on a deck in front of a camp trailer 20 feet from a stream. We started work at about 8am on Friday on his cabin. Brian had bought the raw logs from a log cabin manufacturer and cut, peeled, and notched them in his backyard. He had also put the cabin together in his backyard and then taken it apart and loaded it all on a trailer. When we started work, the platform was the only thing that was built. We worked until about 2pm on the 4th. We all spent the rest of the day sitting around and realizing stiff we would be in the morning.

Those involved included: Brian and Debi, Brian's son Eric, my grandparents, my parents, one of Brian's employees P.J. a couple from Brian's ward.

It was a great time and it made me really miss the days of framing houses with Brian. (I spent the summers I was 16, 17 & 18 framing houses in Utah with Brian and eating him nearly into bankruptcy.) It was also great to be able to work alongside my Dad since it has been ages since I was able to.

How it looked when we started on the 4th.




Driving the screws that held the courses together. These first few courses were by far the easiest.

Cutting the door opening


On the 5th we started at around 7am and had the roof finished by 1pm.


I got back to Provo at around 4:30 and hadn't been so happy to shower and change clothes in a long time. Cole was also excited to see me, as was Mindy when she handed me Parker and said he needed his diaper changed.

1 comment:

Jennifer B said...

Wow that is so cool to see it go up. I would love to have a log cabin someday. Someday... sigh... Very cool that you were able to help out. It looks awesome!