Monday, December 22, 2008

Our Christmas Vacation Plans

So we are quickly coming up on Christmas and I am getting so tired that I am thinking words but not typing them. I also need to do this on my work laptop since I am far more comfortable with the keyboard on it (most of the keys have some degree of polishing, and some like the spacebar are almost completely polished clean from use).

I've got from mid-day Wednesday until the 5th off of work. We were trying to decide what to do during all that time off. We had some good ideas and I had one horribly idiotic idea.

During this time off we are going to go to the Sonoran Desert Museum, the Reid Park Zoo for the Christmas lights, Tombstone, and the grand opening of the Phoenix light rail.

My horribly idiotic idea was to drive to New York and surprise my parents. Serious consideration of that idea lasted for about ten minutes. It is just that we could drive there for far less than we could fly and really, who wants to deal with the morons who work at the TSA? It is a group of people that would be working at a fast food joint but for September 11. Now these bozos are going to keep us safe by making sure we don't bring too much toothpaste or deodorant on the airplane or better yet by making us take our toddler's shoes off for security? Right! The least they could do is clear the empty gray bins off the roller table as we all stand there and put our clothes back on after game. It is akin to the doctor that takes you from a "nice" waiting room to a windowless and magazine-less exam room and then makes you wait 30 minutes just to show he is the doctor and you are not.

Anyway, we are not going to drive to NY and I am going to avoid dealing with any TSA people for as much of the next year as possible. We are going to have a very desert Christmas and spend time together as a family and think of ways to wear out the boys so they go to bed early and give us time to clean the house before they wake up in the morning to begin again the process of destroying any semblance of order in the house (using the term 'house' loosely of course).

3 comments:

Sarah and Jesse said...

Wow you have the same amount of hatred towards the TSA just as much as Jesse does. They once made him empty his oxygen tank he needed to take with him because he had a flight to fly at high altitude, so just to despite him. They asked if it was almost empty and he said it was so they opened it to let all the oxygen out and it made well it was completely full. He said there facial expressions were with it. And another Reason Jesse doesn't want to go to the airlines, having to go through them just to get to work. No Thanks!
By the way have a Merry Christmas!!

Maryanne said...

Hey-- you must've read the Atlantic article about the TSA. That was hilarious, if you can avoid the hassle of flying yourself. Have fun hanging out at home-- it is nice to see extended family this time of year, but travelling with the kiddos usually reminds me of why I should stay home :)
Merry Christmas!

Andrew said...

The article in the Atlantic was wonderful. It served to confirm all of my opinions about the idiocy of the entire system and those that work there. I dealt with those clowns 15 times this year, and all it did was annoy me each time. I've spent a decent amount of time trying to figure out how the guy did the boarding passes. The problem I keep running into is the bar code. How do you get around that? I guess the key would be to figure out what the bar code is being used for. What if everyone in the US refused to take their shoes off? what would they do then?