Sunday, June 1, 2008

Trip to Snowflake

Since Mindy and the boys were in Utah for Memorial Day and I didn't have to work, I decided to ride to Snowflake, AZ. My Grandpa Butler grew up there and his parents are buried there. I left Tucson at about 7am. It took about 4 hours to get there. I rode through some beautiful country. It was good to see the town where my grandfather grew up and to put images to the places I've heard so much about over the years. It was 400 miles round trip and I was glad to get home and off of the motorcycle, but I'd do it again. At least I wasn't the guy in the bottom of the Salt River Canyon at 2:30pm who needed to be in Vernal for work the next morning.

Salt River Canyon


Old Service Station in Snowflake

Original Snowflake Stake Center

Pioneer MonumentSnowflake High School where my great-grandfather taught and grandfather went to school.

Snowflake Stake Academy Building -- they're trying to raise the money to convert it to a library.Two houses my grandfather was raised in.Garage of the home they built.

Their house.My great-grandparent's headstone.

5 comments:

Maryanne said...

This is great, Andrew. I've always wondered what those places looked like. I must say they looked a lot better kept up than I expected.

Mindy Sue said...

I was surprised. I didn't know the home had been remodeled on the outside. The town was also nothing like I had ever pictured in my mind. In some ways it is a lot like the land around Cardston. There were some beautiful pine forests about 20 miles south of Snowflake.

Jennifer B said...

Wow that is awesome. I haven't been back to where my grandparents were raised for over 15-20 years. It is so fun to see the area. It really is beautiful!

Mindy Sue said...

Jen,

Your grandparents were raised in Snowflake? What were their names?

Brett, Holly, Laney & Caleb said...

I don't think I knew you guys had ties to the Snowflake area. Brett's family is from there - his Grandpa taught at the Academy (or maybe the high school) for years. His name was Logan Brimhall. Every year their family has a massive reunion of their 13 children (and descendants) at their "ranch" in Pinedale.